PPE is one of the main topics covered in the CSCS card test, so for this CSCS card mock test we’ll be looking at some questions based on PPE and your knowledge of PPE in the workplace.
Personal Protective Equipment is a vital part of maintaining a safe and injury-free workplace, no matter the nature of work being carried out and the CSCS test highlights this concept within the construction industry.
The questions in this CSCS card mock test are considered basic health and safety knowledge and anyone preparing to take their CSCS test in 2024 should be able to answer all 15 of these mock test questions correctly. All questions will require a single answer and all answers are at the bottom of the page.
1. Using eye protection is vital for onsite safety, when should you wear eye protection?
a. Only when you’re working with power tools
b. Only when you’re working with hazardous chemicals
c. When the task has a potential for eye injury and if the site rules demand it
d. Only when your eyes come into direct sunlight
2. Protective mid-soles in your safety footwear are designed to:
a. Prevent you from twisting your ankle
b. Prevent chemical burns if you step on hazardous chemicals
c. Ensure your footwear remains comfortable throughout the day
d. Protect your feet from nails and other sharp objects
3. What should you do if you’re given a task that requires you to wear a full-body harness but you’ve never used one before?
a. Carry on and try to work it out yourself
b. Ask a colleague who wears one for advice
c. Ask for an expert to train you
d. Ask for the instruction manual and figure it out yourself
4. Wearing a safety helmet in hot weather can be uncomfortable, which of these is true about wearing a safety helmet in hot weather?
a. You can drill small holes in your helmet to increase airflow and keep you cool
b. You can take it off for short periods of time while you’re working
c. You must keep it on at all times and ensure you’re wearing it correctly
d. You can wear it sideways if it’s more comfortable this way
5. What should you do if you accidentally drop your safety helmet and crack it?
a. Get another one immediately
b. Wait until your break and get another one
c. Carry on working if it’s only a small crack
d. Wait until the end of your shift and get another one for the next day
6. If your job role requires a specific type of PPE, would you need to pay for this?
a. Yes, you’ll need to pay a percentage of the total cost
b. No, your employer must provide all PPE necessary to carry out a job
c. Yes, everyone is responsible for providing their own PPE
d. Maybe, you might need to pay as PPE is provided at your employer’s discretion
7. What should you do if your safety footwear gets damaged while working?
a. Try to fix it and carry on working
b. Throw it away and use your trainers
c. Keep using it until your next break and then replace it
d. Get a replacement immediately
8. All of these statements are true about PPE except?
a. PPE must be worn in accordance with its instructions
b. You are responsible for providing your own PPE if the ones you’re given is lost or damaged
c. Any damage to your PPE must be reported to your supervisor
d. You must ensure your PPE is stored correctly when you’re not using it
9. What should you do if the disposable ear plugs you’re given keeps falling out of your ears?
a. Throw them away, continue working, but get another pair at your next break
b. Take them out and continue working
c. Stop working until you get a pair that fits correctly
d. Secure it with some rolled-up paper
10. It’s important for you to wear the correct type of gloves when dealing with hazardous substances, if you don’t it could lead to ___.
b. Vibration white finger
c. Raynaud’s syndrome
d. Skin disease
11. PPE should be provided by your employer______.
a. Once a year
b. Every 6 months
c. Never, you have to provide your own PPE
d. If you need to be protected
12. Safety footwear should be worn on-site______.
a. At all times
b. Only when you are working at ground level
c. Only when you are working at height
d. Only when you are using power tools
13. Which image below tells you that the PPE you’re wearing confirms to health, safety, and environmental protection standards?
14. Which part of the body would you wear respiratory protective equipment (RPE)?
c. Mouth and nose
15. You have to select appropriate PPE for a job, what’s the most important thing you should consider?
a. The types of hazards associated with the job
b. The cost of the PPE
c. The time it will take you to put it on
d. Whether or not it will make you hot outdoors
Want more CSCS test questions? Check out our latest CSCS card mock test for more practice questions.